What is the Difference Between A Frappe and A Frappuccino?
A frappe and Frappuccino are two different coffee drinks. People find it a bit difficult to differentiate the drinks, they think it's the same. We'll tell you what makes them different, how to make them and what kind of milk is best for it?
What is a Frappe?
Frappé is an iced coffee drink that was originally made with instant coffee, sugar, and ice cubes. The taste of your frappé is dependent on how you make it. The traditional frappé is made with coffee, milkshake, and whole milk, it will produce a very sweet cold drink.
You might be wondering if you can make frappé without instant coffee? The answer is yes. Some articles may tell you no, that the taste will be different, but that is not true. Instant coffee was mostly used because it produced a bitter flavor. If you are not a fan of using stale coffee, you can always brew strong coffee or espresso with fresh dark roasted beans.
It will give you the same strength and bitter flavor. Frappé contains caffeine. The amount of caffeine is dependent on the kind of coffee beans used. However, the caffeine range could be from 27-173 mg.
Furthermore, the calories in frappé are less. This is because the sugar level is less or zero. The frappé is mostly served without sugar so that the bitter taste could come out more. For frappés that are made with milk, the calories could be up to 50 or 200 mg. If you are on a diet, you should know the calorie level for the kind of milk you want to use.
How To Make Frappé
You have to use any container that can shake mixtures properly, a blender is always a better option.
- Grind your coffee beans and make cold brew concentrate. Or brew hot coffee and allow it to chill in your freezer. If you’d be making the frappé inside a 12-ounce glass, use only two teaspoons of coffee, with the same amount of water and sugar. But you are free to make the coffee the way you want.
- When the ingredients are ready, put it into a blender and switch it on.
- Allow it to blend for 10 seconds. If you are not using a blender, shake it for up to 30 seconds. It will produce very smooth foam.
- Then put ice into your glass and add the coffee foam to it. Then add water to the drink until the glass is almost full. You can always leave space to add some milk. Put a straw and enjoy the drink.
What is a Frappuccino?
Frappuccinos are made with cappuccinos (that is espresso mixed with steamed milk on one layer and foamed milk on the other) that are mixed with cream, sweeteners, milkshakes, sugar, and more.
There are different flavors to add to your Frappuccino. You can add chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, and more. Note that the traditional Frappuccino was made was made with brewed coffee, but some coffee shops customized it to be just an iced drink. Since you are making it at home, you can choose to add coffee or not.
For the calorie content, the Frappuccino contains more because it is made with cream, sugar, and many flavorings. If you are trying to lose weight, it's not advisable to take Frappuccino regularly.
How to make a Frappuccino
One of the frequently asked questions is if a frappuccino can be prepared at home? Yes. Follow these steps.
- Make cold brew coffee or brew hot coffee, put it in a jar and place it in your freezer for it to get cold. It is always better to use concentrated coffee, so it can bring out the bold flavors of the coffee beans you are using to brew.
- Pour the coffee into your blender and add any milk of your choice. If you are using non-fat milk, you may not get a thicker texture unless you add cream. Make sure you don't add too much of it so that the coffee’s taste will remain.
- Put any flavor you like, vanilla to make vanilla-flavored frappuccino or chocolate. You can further sweeten the drink with white sugar or sweetened condensed milk.
- Add the ice cubes to the blender.
- Press the button and blend until the mixture is smooth and the ice cubes.
- Serve your frappuccino with a straw.
You can prepare a mocha frappuccino by adding some chocolate syrup to it or add chocolate chips to make a mocha chip cappuccino. So many variations for one drink. Yummy.
HOW TO PREPARE CONCENTRATED COFFEE
As we mentioned above, you’d be needing concentrated coffee to make this drink because you'd be adding ice cubes. It will make the drink have a strong coffee taste. The traditional way of making concentrated coffee is to brew it and place it in the freezer (espresso) but there is a much better way to make concentrated coffee and that is the cold brew method.
It will produce coffee that is strong, smooth, and delicious.
- Grind your coffee beans with a burr grinder, and put them into a mason jar. It is better to use a dark roast or a medium dark roast. We recommend buying coffee beans from roasters that roast every day. This way, you’d be sure of buying freshest coffee beans.
- Add water to the coffee grounds. Use a spoon to stir the grounds, make sure the grounds are fully saturated.
- Cover the mixture with a lid and allow it to steep for 12 to 24 hours. After 12 hours, place a filter on another container (cloth filter or paper filter) then pour the cold brew inside the other container using the filter.
- Bear in mind that it takes some time for the concentrate to pass through the filter. After the concentrate is in the other container, keep it cool for some time. When the coffee's cold enough, you can use it to prepare any iced drink.
The cold brewing method produces a large amount of coffee that can be used to make drinks for family and friends but if you are alone, you don't have to worry. The concentrate can stay up to 7 days in the refrigerator, just make sure the jar is tightly covered. You can use coffee pods to make these drinks if you have a Nespresso machine.
What kind of milk should I use for my Frappé or Frappuccino?
There are two basic types of milk used in frappuccinos and we will explain what they are below.
Sugar-sweetened milk: If you always go to a typical coffee shop, you will see this type of milk in the drink line. In most places, this kind of milk is simply regular milk, whipped up into cream and sugar. This milk is usually labeled as such. This milk is generally fine to use for a frappé or Frappuccino.
However, if you want to make a Frappé or a Frappuccino at home, we highly recommend using either full-fat milk or fat-free milk for the best taste. You will typically find this type of milk in the refrigerated section of your local supermarket, and it's usually marked as "Low-fat milk.
WE’LL TELL YOU THE SIMILARITIES
Now that you’ve seen the differences, let's talk about the similarities. What makes them so confusing aside from their similar names?
The main similarity between both drinks is that they are iced and while making the drinks, at a point, you’d have to add ice. Since they are both iced drinks, they can be taken during spring or summer. They not only have a cooling effect and a caffeine kick. The drinks are served in large cups. The frappé is about 300ml while the frappuccino is about 355ml.
So, what can you make when you mix cream and sugar and mix it with milk? The answers are simple! Any coffee drink you like. A frappé can be any combination of ice, milk, sweeteners, and flavorings, whereas a Frappuccino has several modifications.
Get high-quality coffee beans or coffee pods and start exploring these coffee drinks.
Can You Prepare Hot Frappuccinos And Frappés?
No, you can't. These drinks are supposed to be made with ice cubes and cold water. So there is no way to make these drinks hot. Even the coffee brewed with hot water has to be allowed to cool for some time before it can be added to the drink.
If you try to use any hot liquid, the drinks will have a completely different taste. But if you want a hot version of Frappuccinos, you can make a cappuccino or order it from a coffee shop.
How Long Can I Keep The Frappuccino?
Frappuccinos can only last a night, that you are buying the packed one. But if you made some at home, it has to be consumed that day.