HOW TO MAKE YOGURT COFFEE
If you are a black coffee addict, you won't like to get creative with coffee, and you may feel reluctant about getting more tricks about coffee. But you shouldn't, changing your coffee style a bit wont hurt. Some time ago, we discovered that there is a rather strange way to prepare coffee, and it involves you adding yogurt to your freshly brewed coffee.
We are going to show you how to add yogurt to your coffee and different variations to try. We’ll also be answering some frequently asked questions about adding Yogurt to coffee.
CAN YOU ADD YOGURT TO COFFEE?
The answer to this question is Yes, you can use Yogurt in so many ways inside your coffee. Some people may think that the idea is repulsive. At first, some of them said they disliked how the sour milk was put into their hot plain black coffee. They thought it was going to cause havoc in their coffee, but it didn't.
You may have also heard of Vietnamese yogurt coffee. It is one of the popular coffee concoctions that you can find not only in Southeast Asia but in other parts of the world. It is an interesting coffee to try, we are going to tell you all about it. It was this recipe that made us do some research on Yogurt in coffee and discovered some cool facts.
- First, we discovered that Yogurt and Yogurt are the very same thing. It refers to an edible milk liquid that is allowed to ferment until some good bacteria comes out of it. Sugar, fruits, or other flavors are then added to it to make the sour taste acceptable to our palate.
- Yogurt gives you lots of energy as it contains fat, vitamin A, Carbohydrates, fat, thiamine, folate, mineral calcium, and other nutrients.
- Mixing yogurt with different kinds of food is completely safe, there have been no complications so far. It can be mixed with salmon gin, vodka, smoothie, milkshakes, and even your favorite drink, coffee.
- Adding yogurt to your coffee is the same thing as drinking coffee with milk but this time, the milk has good bacteria.
Now that you know all these cool facts, it is time to try different yogurt recipes.
What You’ll Need
- 20ml of cooled coffee- You can use drip coffee, French press coffee, and espresso if you want strong flavors
- 2 teaspoons of sweetened condensed milk
- Plain Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of coconut milk
- A slice of lemon and some ice chips
- The tools you’ll need are a blender, a tall glass, a spoon, and a pitcher.
- Prepare the ice chips with a blender.
- After that, transfer the ice inside the pitcher.
- Blend the Yogurt for about 3 minutes, then add the condensed milk, the coconut milk, and some drops from the lemon juice.
- It's time to pour the mixture into the pitcher with the ice chips.
- Grind your freshly roasted coffee beans with a burr grinder and brew fresh coffee. You’ll be needing just 20ml for this recipe.
- When the coffee is brewed, put it inside a refrigerator or freezer and allow it to cool for some time. Gradually add the cold coffee to the other mixture (yogurt, milk, and an ice chip) into your pitcher. It is better to brew the coffee first, and allow it to cool before starting the brewing process. You can add more milk or vanilla if you like.
- Then pour the coffee into the tall glass and enjoy.
Another way to make the Yogurt coffee is to add the desired amount of coffee you want to use to the desired amount of coffee, and you are good to go.
Let's show you how to make the famous Coffee smoothie recipe. As we said earlier, there are different ways to use Yogurt in your coffee.
Let's dive in
COFFEE SMOOTHIE RECIPE
This is a very delicious coffee drink. You can brew coffee, add milk and in less than 5 minutes, it will be ready.
What You’ll Need
- 1/4 cup of cold brew concentrate
- 1 banana and avocado (slice them)
- 1/2 cup of plain yogurt
- Vanilla extract
- Ice cubes
- 2-3 teaspoons of sugar or honey.
- Use freshly roasted coffee beans for the cold brew. Grind the beans using a burr grinder, then put the grounds into a jar and allow it to steep for about 12 to 24 hours. You can make the cold brew earlier and store it in the freezer.
- Put the sliced banana and yogurt into a blender then add the honey, sugar, or vanilla extract.
- Add the cold brew and ice
- Blend the mixture until it is purée.
- our it into a tall glass and enjoy.
NOTE THE FOLLOWING
The good bacteria inside the coffee will stop growing at 8 degrees Celsius and below at 62 degrees Celsius and above. What this means is that if the bacteria gets to 100 degrees Celsius, it is going to die (100 is above the boiling point).
Therefore, the coffee used to make the Vietnamese yogurt coffee or any other yogurt coffee drink will not kill any of the good bacteria, since the temperature of the coffee won't be getting to 100 degrees Celsius. You need to keep those good bacteria in the yogurt because they aid digestion and also kill a lot of bad bacteria that are found in the human guts.
What this means is that you can easily prepare any yogurt coffee concoction, whether smoothie or Vietnamese yogurt coffee by yourself and eat it. You can also get creative with your favorite coffee or cake by adding coffee and yogurt to it. You’ll not only be enjoying a delicious taste from this great addition, but you’ll also be getting health benefits as well. Just make sure that the good bacteria in the yogurt doesn't die so that when you add it to the food, they will be able to work in your guts.
CAN YOU SUBSTITUTE THE YOGURT FOR COFFEE CREAMER?
As we previously mentioned, adding some yogurt to your coffee is like adding something milky and creamy with good bacteria to your coffee. Yes, you can substitute it if you are not skeptical about eating live bacteria.
This recipe may not be good for you if you are a lover of plain coffee. But who says you can try something new? You can still enjoy yogurt coffee if you are lactose intolerant, you can ask your doctor if it is okay to take it and they prescribe some drugs that help with the digestion of milk.
CAN YOU REALLY EAT YOGURT WITH COFFEE?
We have to tell you this, you’ll hear about some group of people that don't approve of adding yogurt to coffee. They believe that you can only achieve optimal digestion when you pair foods that have similar digesting times or pH levels.
Then, they believe that dairy food shouldn't be eaten together. For example, they think that whole milk and yogurt shouldn't be blended. But this group is basing their theory on mere talks as they have not been able to provide any scientific evidence to back up their claims. It won't be proper for you to believe such claims. So you can eat yogurt and coffee just the way you like it.
CAN THE HEAT DESTROY THE GOOD BACTERIA IN YOGURT?
The heat from your coffee won't destroy the good bacteria in the yogurt because it is not hot enough. The coffee you take has to be more than 100 degrees Celsius in your stomach before it can kill the good bacteria in the Yogurt. Your coffee won't be hotter than that. Even if it was that hot, you surely won't be able to swallow the whole cup of coffee at that temperature.
Doing something like that will not only burn your lips, it will burn your tongue, mouth, and throat too. Bear in mind that it is not only the temperature that is the issue, it's the length of the time that you keep the yogurt in the hot coffee. The good bacteria can be killed within 10 to 15 minutes if it is kept above 100 degrees Celsius.
What we are trying to say is that after brewing the coffee, you should allow it to cool down for a few minutes so you don't want to burn your tongue, then add the yogurt, so the bacteria won't die off. We recommend adding the yogurt just before you start drinking the coffee.
This is all you have to know about adding yogurt to your coffee, you know all the health benefits and how to add it to your coffee. Now you can brew really great drip coffee using freshly roasted coffee beans from Coffee Hero and get on with this recipe!